Re: [exim] Troubleshooting

Author: Phil Pennock
To: The Doctor
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Troubleshooting
On 2010-04-14 at 14:09 -0600, The Doctor wrote:
> Right, I really want to ditch postfix
> for good except on my main server that does Majordomo and
> Virtual DNS, we are seeing high load that I am forced to switch back
> to postfix.

> MY configure file reads:

I notice a distinct lack of *any* performance tuning knobs applied
there.

> Right, where do I start? No problem on sec server.
>
> Also running current Clamav and SpamAssassin

You start by looking at what's running, creating the high load. ps(1)
is good, top(1) might help. Exim ships with a tool called 'exiwhat'
which will likely help.

Does the postfix box use majordomo too? Or are you changing both the
MTA and the MLM at the same time? (If so, why?)

What diagnosis have you done so far?

These are some options you might want to look at tuning:
queue_run_max
remote_max_parallel
smtp_accept_max
smtp_accept_max_per_host
smtp_accept_queue
smtp_connect_backlog
queue_only_load
queue_only_file
smtp_accept_queue_per_connection

There are others, but if you check the references for those options,
you'll get there. Those are just the options I happen to have set on a
private box, which isn't ISP-scaled, so depending on load there may well
be other relevant options.

-Phil