Re: [exim] Attachment to weblink

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Attachment to weblink
schmerold2@??? wrote:
> Thank you for the advice. Many of our staff are using mail as a filing
> cabinet - understandable, perhaps, however I am seeing more an more 5GB
> message stores, this issue will continue to get worse as time goes on.
> Outlook doesn't scale well with these large stores and it is putting
> putting a burden on our backup systems.
>
> End users are the problem - but they are the source of the butter for my
> bread. They want to send 20MB attachments to 100 internal staff members
> - urrgh!
>
> So my hope is that Exim can come to the rescue by striping the
> attachment and storing one copy on an accessible shared path - web ftp
> etc. There are a few products that handle inbound attachments, I would
> like to address inbound & outbound messages.

Ah, so ...

If you cannot break their habits, and if they *really do* send massive
attachments to many, many 'internal' recipients, then there are a couple of
other options.

You can save a great deal of I/O and storage if you store just one copy and
provide access to it to (only) all of the addresees *as they seek it*.

No need to worry about whether the traffic is 'special' or not - this approach
is 'universal'.

CAVEAT: I haven't used it in Donkey's years, but...

PowerMail (the one from the PowerDNS folks, not the for-fee MUA from
Swoitzerland), does this. ISTR is uses a DB to track what is where and for whom
stired and if read, to be moved or deleted, etc, but actually stores the content
in the fs, not in the DB, then uses multiple hardlinks to make it 'visible' to
each of the recipients, tearing them down as each user does their 'delete' until
all have done so (or not).

In any case, only one copy is stored, thus only one write on the inbound.
Reads, of course depend on how many viewers, and how often the look at the same
message/attachment before deleting it.

AFAIK, PowerMail can be put 'behind' Exim such that Exim handles the usuals,
does one transfer into PowerMail, which in this case would be acting as a
'samrt' mailstore.

I was using it with a PostgreSQL DB behind Courier-MTA at the time, so it is
more than five years ago. Perhaps much more... (Irish Alzheimer's here...)

There are no doubt other and newer methods, both MS and 'ABM'.

HTH,

Bill

> W B Hacker wrote:
>> schmerold2@??? wrote:
>>> I would like Exim to:
>>> 1. Strip any attachment larger than 10KB
>>> 2. Save it to a folder for hosting