Re: [exim] Strange characters in Subject line

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Strange characters in Subject line
� wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm facing a problem with Subject lines with Exim on Debian.
>
> Non-ascii characters in subject lines are replaced with strange
> characters in Outlook (as showed in attached image). For example,
> "inser��o" is shown as "inserção". Note: in Thunderbird, subject are
> displayed correctly.
>
> This problem only happens with messages directly delivered to the server
> from the email client when the email client is Outlook. When messages
> come from external mail servers, they are parsed by the AntiSPAM
> software and subject lines appear correctly (also in Outlook).
>
> Can someone give me some directions to troubleshoot this issue?
>
> Thank you,
> Jos� Carlos Correia

Probably BOTH Exim and the antispam are transparent and 8-bit safe.

It is the MUA that is at fault. I suspect the choice of outbound character
encoding disagrees with whatever LookOUT! is using for INbound character encoding.

Note that in your example, one can swap the nonsense-or-question-mark characters
for the valid PT ones back and forth between the the two citations simply by
switching the MUA (SeaMonkey ~= Thundermug) between UTF-8, and either ISO 8859-1
or Windows 1252, while choosing Chinese Big 5 makes new (and no doubt
irrelevant) idiograms out of BOTH examples...

Exim is not involved in that argument....

HTH

Bill