Re: [exim] Improving Exim Documentation: A Simple Suggestion

Author: Eli
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Improving Exim Documentation: A Simple Suggestion
> I am also volunteer, but I would suggest using a CMS.

Not to start an off-topic debate (and this Plone CMS you linked does look
quite nice), but if www.exim.org has mostly static content (as it does now
except for the docs section) there wouldn't be much of a real "need" for a
CMS.

Implementing a CMS or any other technology on the site brings extra
requirements from the hosting (which may also increase costs) as well as
also means added maintenance in terms of staying on top of security issues
with whatever you're using. Staying with static HTML pages and maybe at
worst using SHTML for some dynamic pages keeps server requirements very low
and also reduces the chances of pages being hacked.

So, unless there are big revamp plans for www.exim.org, I would actually
suggest staying with as much static HTML as possible; we can make the site
XHTML 1.1 compliant and use some fancy DHTML stuff if we want, though I
don't think it would require any kind of CMS at this time (especially since
Nigel has already got the experience in maintaining the site as is - editing
a few HTML pages wouldn't be out of place for him).

However, discussion for a later time once plans have been laid out for what
to do with the site :)

Eli.