Re: [pcre-dev] hang running configure on redhat AS2.1

Author: Todd Rinaldo
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] hang running configure on redhat AS2.1

On Oct 29, 2009, at 4:16 AM, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
>
>> I'm running configure for PCRE 8.00 on Redhat AS2.1 and hanging
>> during
>> the second occurrence of "checking for alias support in the
>> linker". I
>> was hoping you could point me towards a means to fix this or some way
>> to get more information as to why it's hanging here.
>
> Oh gosh, that is somewhere in the magic that is generated by autoconf,
> about which I know nothing, and I rather suspect that most folks on
> this
> list know nothing about it either. Prove me wrong, anybody?
>
> Under Gentoo Linux, I get two identical lines:
>
> checking for alias support in the linker... no
> checking for alias support in the linker... no
>
> and then it moves on. I've had a quick look at ./configure, and it
> seems
> that this check is concerned with compiling the C++ wrapper. First, I
> suggest you try ./configure --disable-cpp to see if you can compile
> the
> main C library without the C++ wrapper. If you really need the C++
> wrapper, all I can suggest is that you hack about in ./configure, look
> for that message, and cut out the section where it appears.
>
> Further checking shows that the test originates in ./configure.ac. Is
> that in the distribution? Perhaps not. You can get it from the svn
> repository if you want to play with things at that level:
>
> svn co svn://vcs.exim.org/pcre/code/trunk pcre

Philip,

Thanks for the info. --disable-cpp does in fact allow pcre to compile.
I'd like to look deeper into this, but the svn checkout you supplied
does not work:

$>svn co svn://vcs.exim.org/pcre/code/trunk pcre
svn: Can't connect to host 'vcs.exim.org': No route to host

I also could not find any links to the subversion repo on any of the
pcre sites. If you can give me a good link, I'd definitely like to fix
this problem

Thanks
Todd