Re: [exim] trying to use 'pipe' in an exim filter, but not w…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] trying to use 'pipe' in an exim filter, but not working
> > o As mentioned in some other mail: process.sh is executable by the
> > exim user?
> >

> yes. It's executable by all.
>

> > o You are sure, /tmp/foo is writable for the exim user?
> >

> yes. /tmp/foo does not exist. /tmp is world writable.
>

> > o You've set system_filter_pipe_transport?
> >
> I dont even have any idea what that is!
> http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/filter.html#SECTpipe doesn't
> mention this. But fine - I tried googling for a couple of examples, and
> found 2 setting 'system_filter_pipe_transport = address_pipe' (eg.
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/exim_and_anti_spam_spamassassin?page=0%2C2).
> Looked up 'address_pipe' in the documentation, but still not any the wiser.

How to handle „pipe“ is a matter of exim, thus exim needs to know the
system_filter_pipe_transport (usually set to „address_pipe“ -- this
transport has to exist of course).

If you consult the exim spec.txt, you should find several references to
system_filter_pipe_transport and to address_pipe.

> Here's a compilation of what I've read:
> http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/filter.html#SECTpipe
> http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch29.html
> http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch11.html#SECTexpvar
>
> From the last link, it seems that I should only bother with $address_pipe if
> a message is redirected to a pipe due to "aliasing or forwarding"? In which
> case, I shouldnt bother, since I'm expecting to run the pipe at the
> beginning using system_filter? OTOH, the 2nd link mentions '$address_pipe
> contains the text of the pipe command', as if this were not a special case?
> These docs have been chasing round in circles.

Yes, but for system filters, the pipe transport has to be set as well.

> I've also set system_filter_user, and system_filter_group to the exim user,
> to try and see if this helps. It doesnt.

Try
    exim -bP all | grep system_filter

And then try to find the mentioned transport (if any transport is
mentioned):

    exim -bP transport „transport-name“

If this works, we need more ideas ;-)

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -