Re: [exim] Debian/exim4/Mailman no outgoing emails

Author: Chris Wilson
To: Andrei
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian/exim4/Mailman no outgoing emails
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Andrei wrote:

> In addition to that I can't test SMTP from outside (public) network.
> Telnet lists.domain.org 25 times out. However, when I telnet
> lists.domain.org 25 from the localhost I get standard SMTP greeting.
>
> Scanning IP address for port 25 (from outside public network) I get this:
> PORT    STATE    SERVICE
> 25/tcp  filtered smtp

Presumably this is a problem, i.e. you want the public to be able to post
to your mailing list. This port being blocked, perhaps by a firewall, will
prevent that. Network security is pretty much outside the scope of this
mailing list. Perhaps your network administrator or hosting company/ISP
can help.

> However, if I send an email to unknow_user@??? the email
> bounces back to me from lists.domain.org that the user doesn't exit.
> If I send an email to *existing* user@??? email goes in
> to a void (mailman never delivers it).

How exactly did you link exim to mailman? And what do your logs show when
you send a message to a valid user at the list?

Cheers, Chris.
--