Re: [exim] Exim before-queue filtering?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim before-queue filtering?
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> W B Hacker wrote:
>
>>> amavisd will pass the message to clamdscan and spamassassin itself,
>>> and offer some more goodies.
>>>

>> If amavis is primarily a 'dispatcher' maybe that's why it is hard to
>> find examples.
>>
>> Exim has long had the ability to hand-off to ClAmAV, Sophos, et al,
>> and SpamAssassin 'built -in'. Needs no 'government worker' overhead.
>>
>> It almost certainly has the other 'goodies' built-in as well.
>
> Just off my head: can Exim store quarantine in a database?

Build it with the sql tools and it can do any DB manipulation that can BE done.
eg: SELECT INSERT, UPDATE ... whatever. And from within in-session acl's and/or
routers or transports. Works with PostgreSQL, DB2, Oracle, MySQL, SQLite... and
more.

But you probably won't need it to.

Most just use a router/transport set to place quarantined traffic into bespoke
mailstore locations, creating same on the fly if/as/when not previously existing
and/or recreating if end-user has blown 'em away.

Likewise archiving or other duplicate delivery. See 'unseen' in routers. Also
shadow transport.

> So that it
> can be accessed later by users from a web interface (pointers to working
> software would be welcome if it's possible)?

I use PostgreSQL, Dovecot IMAP, U Cambidge's 'Prayer' Webmail toolset.

IMNSHO, it is far easier with IMAP - folders are there regardless of
MUA/Webmail or OS. We haven't used POP for years, as all hands have need to use
multiple machines, soemtimes 'borrowed' or public - so syncing is a factor.

> Can I monitor filtering with SNMP?

Exim has highly configurable logging, custom log messages and error messages,
its own grep'ing and statistical analysis utilities, and perhaps the best debug
tools in the buisness.

cron and sputniks can send whatever reports you like, for whatever reason and
however often you want them.

If that isn't 'current' enough, such as when monitoring the effects of changes,
or troubleshooting, I prefer ssh and 'tail' or sputniks applied to a temporarily
more verbose mainlog.

>> Nothing wrong with Postfix - but it is about as close as it comes to a
>> 'pure' smtp critter, so it DOES lay-off most of hte 'extras' to
>> post-session worker bees.
>>
>> With Exim, smtp is just the sharp point of a whole arsenal of tools.
>>
>> Suggest you forget amavis and JFDI the Exim way. Essentially 100%
>> 'in-session'.
>
> I would, but it doesn't have all features I want.

I doubt you have the least clue how many 'features' Exim has, or supports.

Basically, if the CPU and OS can do it, Exim can tell it how, when, where, in
what format, and even how to cover its politically-correct ass.

;-)

> (...)
>
>> See above. IF you want to do that, you can use *anything*.
>
> Anything, but amavis (amavisd-new) during the session ;)

>>> It can be used, at least with Postfix.
>>
>> So .... feel free to use it with Postfix. No one here will stop you.

Sounds like your priority is amavis-new, not smtp. Seems bass-ackwards to me.

Perhaps you should just program amavis to play games with randomized files and
forget about an MTA altogether?

Bill