Re: [exim] Sender callout verification on BATV signed addres…

Author: Richard Salts
To: Ian Eiloart, exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] Sender callout verification on BATV signed addresses, Re: [exim] Sender callout verification on BATV signed addresses
Subject: Re: [exim] Sender callout verification on BATV signed addresses
On Thu, 14 May 2009 20:34:57 you wrote:

> --On 14 May 2009 11:20:31 +1000 Richard Salts <exim@???> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 06:09:13 Bryan Rawlins wrote:
> >> So my question is, and I'm strictly looking for personal opinions here;
> >> Are callout/callback verifications on the envelope sender when that
> >> sender is signed more acceptable than just doing them in general?
>
> If people don't want callback verifications to their sites in response to
> spoofed email, then they should publish information about where their mail
> comes from. There are three cases:
>
> An email verifies with SPF or DKIM or similar - the callback may be
> regarded as pointless, but it should not be unwelcome. Bounces,
> autoreplies, and so on should all be acceptable.

I'm not advocating callback verification, because although it can be effective
for a small number of people it's also very damaging to the system in general.
A tragedy of the commons waiting to happen (similar to challenge response) and
also not a good indicator that a message is spam (although it seems to work
some of the time at the moment especially if the envelope is signed with BATV
and the domain owner is trustworthy).

> SPF, DKIM or similar tests fail. Don't do the callback, don't accept the
> message. If you do accept the message, make sure that it is not later
> bounced, and that autoreplies aren't sent.

I'm not sure that SPF is such a great utility, except for whitelisting valid
senders emails. Receiving a message from a host not listed for the domain
isn't a good indication that the email is a forgery, as forwarding breaks this
assumption. I agree that DKIM is a good solution for forgery, however it
relies on both the sender and receiver of a message changing their behaviour.
What I was suggesting was for the domain to signed for a sending server. This
means that the recipient has to do no more work than verify the existence of a
domain name, which most people are already doing, and the envelope sender will
be verified.

For instance using the BATV domain variant I'd send out emails with a signed
envelope such as localpart@???. My trick dns server would
then only publish the record for a specific TAG as a subdomain with a time to
die of 2 days or so, which should mean there is plenty of time for the mail to
be delivered. On the recipients system there is no change, they're not
performing callbacks, except for the usual dns query to check that the address
comes from a domain that exists. They don't have to check any DKIM signatures,
or SPF records, and the message is still known to be sent by the domain owner
with not further effort on the receivers part.