Re: [exim] SMTP Banner delay of 2 mins 30 seconds

Autor: Jethro R Binks
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] SMTP Banner delay of 2 mins 30 seconds
On Wed, 6 May 2009, Graeme Fowler wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 16:40 -0700, Eric Cross wrote:
> > Would you folks know of a reason why Exim build 4.69 would be behaving this
> > way consistently across four different domains? I have not seen this issue
> > other than on Exim 4.69 (but I have only seen it today on these four
> > domains).

> or the config is assigning a "value judgement" to your address and is
> therefore adding a pause to the connection.
>
> The best way to isolate this is to contact the person/people
> administering the machines.

All true, however, I'm not clear why the OP thinks this is a problem.
Regardless of the reason for the delay, it is within the appropriate
specification and no cause for concern. Unless, that is, the sending mail
server is incorrectly configured and drops the connection if it is made to
wait for a bit.

I see this quite often here, and have to guide senders here on what they
need to look for to fix it. And often, as usual: "but I don't have a
problem sending to any other sites, so it must be your problem to fix".

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK