Re: [exim] Restoring mail alone

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Restoring mail alone
Gokul chandrasekharan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the response. Accounts are hosted in a shared Linux server having
> cpanel and Exim MTA. I want to transfer the mail alone for few user accounts
> to a new linux server which has exim installed. However it does not have
> cpanel or any control panel. Please advice in that case. I hope the
> requirement is clear now.
>
> Regards,
> Gokul

Note: You only need Cpanel if you have neither access to, nor experience
with using, a command-line interface and text editor.

You should probably begin by gathering as much information on the
settings - both 'systemwide', 'per-domain' and 'per user', of the
present host as the tools you have access to will allow.

You will then need to replicate (or adapt) those settings as well as set
up the list of authorized users on the new server. No need just yet to
move the existing messages.

*Test that* before you even begin to migrate mail.

Once you are comfortable that the new server is doing things the way you
want, you will then need to determine if you have access to tools to
copy the mail folders from present server to new.

I'm in the midst of doing just that, and using 'cpdup' over a GigE
inside LAN link. As we have always bought larger HDD instead of impsong
quotas, one of the 'folders' to be moved is over 80GB in size...

...but the boxes are two feet apart and I have root on both,

If they are two continents - or even just two contractor-identities
apart, life will be more challenging....

YMMV

Bill