Re: [exim] exim-users.org site

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim-users.org site
Ted Cooper [Exim-users] wrote:
> http://www.exim-users.org/forums/register.php?
>
> vBulletin Message
>
>     Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.

> I finally got around to installing DynaStop and looking into using it
> (since it has considerably better coverage that my home grown solution). My
> best guess at a discussion site for it was on the exim-users.org forums but
> it seems that everything on the forums has been disabled?
>
> Has this website kicked the bucket? Is there somewhere else where people
> using DynaStop discuss it? I bring this up here since this list is the only
> place I have seen it mentioned.
>
> I have already re-written the web update script to prevent it from
> downloading the same files over and over again, and to include some conf
> files that were missing. One of the files is 25Mb+ and should probably be
> synchronised with rsync instead of HTTP. I'm also looking into changing
> some of the input code so that I can query if a particular hostname is
> dynamic without having to provide an IP address. Essentially so I can tell
> the difference between a very poorly set up exchange box and a very stupid
> spambot on a dynamic IP address.
> eg host 124.11.188.49 with matched reverse dns of
> 124-11-188-49.static.tfn.net.tw says HELO with
> 124-11-200-20.static.tfn.net.tw (which was the bot's address when it
> started up) versus the same IP saying HELO with whoopiecushions.local.
> Still very suspect, but I want different behviour from my side in each of
> the cases - outright reject the first case, but greylist the second.

Dunno, but 'whois' sez the listed contact is:

Registrant Email:kmbit@???
Admin Name:Kevin Barrett

BTW - other than perhaps better 'granularity' - what advantage do you
expect with DynaStop vs the combination of rDNS check + dul.sorbs?

And which do you expect will consume the least in the way of time &
resources?

.. or is it too early to ask?

Best,

Bill Hacker