Re: [exim] retry configuration

Author: Ted Cooper [Exim-users]
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry configuration
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:20:49 +0100, Matthew Somerville
<matthew@???> wrote:
> One question regarding Lena's reply on limiting Yahoo! messages to 5 per
> connection:
>> begin routers
>> remote_domains_throttled:
>> driver = dnslookup
>> domains = \N^yahoo\.\N : rocketmail.com : ymail.com
>
> I presume I would also put btinternet.com/ btopenworld.com here.

Yep.

>> transport = throttled_smtp
>> begin transports
>> throttled_smtp:
>> driver = smtp
>> connection_max_messages = 5
>> serialize_hosts = *
>
> I see Yahoo! state they accept a maximum of 5 messages per SMTP
> connection here:
> http://help.yahoo.com/l/au/yahoo7/mail/postmaster/postmaster-31.html
> What difference does this rule actually make to Exim, if any?

The above settings mean that exim will only attempt to send 5 messages in
any single TCP/IP connection AND not attempt parallel connections to the
same host.

More details here:

serialize_hosts
http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/ch30.html#id607699

connection_max_messages
http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/ch30.html#id603616

(along with lots and lots of other details)

--
The Exim Manual
http://docs.exim.org/current/