Re: [exim] retry configuration

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry configuration
Hello Catalin,

Catalin Constantin <dazoot@???> (Mo 20 Apr 2009 15:04:17 CEST):
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> Unfortunately it's not doing any good.
>
> The problem is caused by the way EXIM is handling retries.
>
> If one REMOTE server (IP) gives an error, including defers, 4xx
> errors, for one EMAIL in the queue, then
> for the rest of emails which have the same destination, there is no
> attempt to deliver until the NEXT retry limit is reached.
>
> Consider you have 1000 emails waiting to be delivered to @yahoo.
> After the first attempt to deliver one email from the queue you get a
> 451 Message temporarily deferred.
> The 2nd email from the queue (has the same destination - i include
> here all MX with all IP aliases) will not even be tried for delivery
> because the IP did not reach it's retry time.

You're absolutly sure about the greylisting on per sender/recipient
base?

That is, what I get from one of my machines (I never used this machine for
outgoing mail):

root@hh:~# swaks -f hs@??? -t abc@??? -q rcpt
=== Trying f.mx.mail.yahoo.com:25...
=== Connected to f.mx.mail.yahoo.com.
<** 421 Message from (213.128.132.49) temporarily deferred - 4.16.50.
Please refer to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-06.html
-> QUIT
*** Remote host closed connection unexpectedly.

About 5 minutes later it would work:

root@hh:~# swaks -f hs@??? -t abc@??? -q rcpt
=== Trying e.mx.mail.yahoo.com:25...
=== Connected to e.mx.mail.yahoo.com.
<- 220 mta114.mail.re4.yahoo.com ESMTP YSmtp service ready
-> EHLO hh.is.schlittermann.de
<- 250-mta114.mail.re4.yahoo.com
<- 250-8BITMIME
<- 250-SIZE 31981568
<- 250 PIPELINING
-> MAIL FROM:<hs@???>
<- 250 sender <hs@???> ok
-> RCPT TO:<abc@???>
<- 250 recipient <abc@???> ok
-> QUIT
<- 221 mta114.mail.re4.yahoo.com
=== Connection closed with remote host.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -