Re: [exim] *Suspect* reject mail for user@example.com?

Author: John Horne
To: Exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] *Suspect* reject mail for user@example.com?
On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 10:40 +0100, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> 2009/4/1 Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@???>:
> >
> > I know the proper way to do it would be to have an up-to-date list of
> > existing users on the Exim box for all "remote users", but it's not
> > always possible.
>
> That's a great use case for Exim's recipient callout verification. As
> long as the destination server rejects unknown recipients at SMTP
> time, your Exim will 'learn' (ie cache) which users are valid and
> which are not and reject invalid users.

The problem then (as seen here recently) is that Exim's cache gets out
of step with the recipient server. Exim then accepts the message, but
the recipient server rejects it. A bounce goes back to the sender, which
is what the OP was trying to avoid.

In our case we have reduced the positive cache time, but I see no way
around some window of time existing in which a bounce could be sent out
other than not using Exim's positive cache at all.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001