Re: [exim] pipe2imap.pl

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] pipe2imap.pl
W B Hacker wrote:

> We do something similar w/r creating/adding to IMAP folders, but as
> ordinary router/transport mailstore calls to local fs ELSE nfs mounts or
> duplicate delivery over smtp for the warm-standby box.
>
> - ergo didn't grok the need for adding the .pl script.

I couldn't find a way to do everything I wanted to achieve with the
delivery by passing it on to CommuniGate over an SMTP connection and
using CommuniGates own rules system, which is why I created the script
to deliver via IMAP. It's the ability to automatically set permissions
on folders, and flags on messages that might make it most useful to
somebody.

Might be useful for people using Exchange too.

Hmmm... It might also be useful for people who want the imap server to
enforce quotas too, rather than writing directly into the maildir.

It would be superb if Exim had a built in transport for delivering via
imap as well as the smtp, lmtp, pipe, maildir, mbox delivery methods,
but I'm not holding my breath... Some might call that feature creep.

It just occured to me. I used to read the Tor users mailing list. They
always seemed quite successfull at getting students to contribute code
to the project via the Google Summer of Code. I wonder if Exim could
drum up some similar interest.

--
Mike Cardwell
(https://secure.grepular.com/) (http://perlcv.com/)