Re: [exim] *Suspect* reject mail for user@example.com?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] *Suspect* reject mail for user@example.com?
Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> I have an Exim box which forwards certain addresses to another server, i.e.:
>> - Exim accepts user@???
>> - delivers it to server_2 for user_changed@???
>> Now, server_2 rejects this mail for some reason (user does not exist,
>> spam etc.).
>
> That happens everyday, and the only one annoyed is the one into the "From:"
> If you intend to block on "From:" you really get the risk to encounter
> false positive, seeing the quantitiy of forged "From:".
>
> I dont think it's a good idea. Why not passing it through spamassassin
> _before_ fowarding? (I dont know how yet)

Providing you are calling SA in the DATA phase, not 'post queue' that is
automagical. Ditto ClamAV and sputniks.

The forwarding doesn't happen until router/transports are entered, and
even there one could do post-smtp-session filtering before local or
remote delivery.

IF/AS/WHEN one needs to avoid potentially instrusive filtering AND NOT
risk upsetting the destination *server*, there are ways to 'warp' the
entire message and headers,

EG:

- 'print' the incoming message and headers to a .pdf file, send the file
to the destination as a 'safe' attachment with a one-line text-body
'transmittal' note.

- Or as a tar / zip / gz or other archive attachment. Not always as
welcome by far-end filter rules. .pdf is about as good as it gets.

These things need a lot more work to set up, but can also support fax &
voice message content.

HTH,

Bill