Re: [pcre-dev] 7.9-RC2 test release CMake error

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sheri
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] 7.9-RC2 test release CMake error
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Sheri wrote:

> I downloaded your CMakeLists.txt and other individual source files from
> here <http://www.exim.org/viewvc/pcre/code/trunk/?sortby=date> which I
> believe were updated since RC2. Then I tried to configure using
> cmakesetup in Msys.
>
> As before, I got this error:
>
> ---------------------------
> Error
> ---------------------------
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:523 (STRING):
> string no output variable specified

My guess is that the variable CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE is not getting set in
your environment, somehow. Please add this line:

MESSAGE(STATUS "CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=${CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE}")

and see what output you get.

> (Press Cancel to suppress any further messages.)

I can only run it as a command-line thing, not interactively.

> PS, in my message of Apr 1, I reported that when I tried a comma before
> "buildtype" on that line, I didn't get the error, but Christian never
> commented on whether that would be correct.

No, its not correct. Consider the line

STRING(TOUPPER ${CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE} buildtype)

If (as I surmise) CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE is unset, you get the original error.
If you add a comma, the effect is to set the contents of the variable
"buildtype" to the string ",". No error, but not what you want!

I'm glad you are there and testing; it would be good to get this sorted.
I'm trying to get 7.9 out the door asap.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel