Re: [exim] Missing Message-ID header

Author: Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Missing Message-ID header
Alain Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just had someone 'phone me up complaining that mail to me was bouncing, ... long story short here is the message in the error log.
>
>     2009-02-24 11:49:52 1LbvnM-0002Zg-Su H=lon-gs3dmrelay.mistral.net [217.154.246.188] F=<jonb@???> rejected after DATA: RFC2822 says that all mail SHOULD have a Message-ID header.

> This is caused by a trap in acl_check_data (acl_smtp_data) of:
>   deny    condition  = ${if !def:h_Message-ID: {1}}
>           message    = RFC2822 says that all mail SHOULD have a Message-ID header.\n\
>                        Most messages without it are spam, so your mail has been rejected.

> Just a request for comments, should I be doing this sort of thing ?
>
> I don't see errors like this very often.

I have seen crapy MUAs (possibly Webmail interfaces) that do not
generate a Message-ID.

Since this prevents proper threading (no way for a reply to include a
References or In-Reply-To header), even if it's not spam, you're not
missing a lot by dropping them. :-)

--
Death comes on every passing breeze,
He lurks in every flower;