[exim] Missing Message-ID header

Author: Alain Williams
To: Exim Users
Subject: [exim] Missing Message-ID header
Hi,

just had someone 'phone me up complaining that mail to me was bouncing, ... long story short here is the message in the error log.

    2009-02-24 11:49:52 1LbvnM-0002Zg-Su H=lon-gs3dmrelay.mistral.net [217.154.246.188] F=<jonb@???> rejected after DATA: RFC2822 says that all mail SHOULD have a Message-ID header.

This is caused by a trap in acl_check_data (acl_smtp_data) of:
  deny    condition  = ${if !def:h_Message-ID: {1}}
          message    = RFC2822 says that all mail SHOULD have a Message-ID header.\n\
                       Most messages without it are spam, so your mail has been rejected.

Just a request for comments, should I be doing this sort of thing ?

I don't see errors like this very often.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256 http://www.phcomp.co.uk/