Re: [exim] Exim Development

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Development
Another feature - something I've asked for before - is the ability to
treat a 5xx error as a 4xx error. I know people have complained it is
dangerous but you can put all kinds of warnings in the docs about it.
Here's why.

I'm doing front end spam filtering. People point their MX to me and I
clean it and forward the good email on to them. Normally this is simple.
But sometimes what happens is that when the recipient's server is no
longer the lowest MX it forgets it is hosting the domain and starts
rejecting 550 all the email I'm forwarding with a "relay denied" message
and it creates a bounce. I need to intercept that so that I can do
something else on 550 errors other than bouncing.