Re: [exim] Exim Development

Author: Eli Sand
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Development
Marc wrote:

> But sometimes what happens is that when the recipient's server is no
> longer the lowest MX it forgets it is hosting the domain and starts
> rejecting 550 all the email I'm forwarding with a "relay denied"
> message
> and it creates a bounce. I need to intercept that so that I can do
> something else on 550 errors other than bouncing.

You really don't want to do that - here's why: how can you differentiate a
*true* 5xx error that should be treated as such from a 5xx error that you
wish to be a 4xx error? Now you will be queuing all the email that
SHOULDN'T be retried.

The solution to that problem is for the recipient to fix their mail server.
There is really no excuse for rejecting email for a particular host simply
because the receiving end isn't on the MX list of hosts. How do you think
"smarthosting" works? The final destination server is not in DNS at all,
yet it receives the email because internally it knows that it does in fact
store/host email for that domain.

Eli.