Re: [exim] Recipients with no MX record need to drop

Author: Don Sceifers
To: 'Exim-users'
Subject: Re: [exim] Recipients with no MX record need to drop
On 2008-11-12 00:18, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2008-11-11 at 18:33 -0500, Don Sceifers wrote:
> > We realize that. We own the server
> have some wildcard DNS entries (A Record) that we serve up related search
> pages on. The problem is there is no MX record for the wildcarded domains.

> In fact, we are trying to break delivery to sites with an A, but no MX
> record. We are trying to drop the 100-150000 emails that go nowhere every
> day. Exim is crushing that box because of this traffic.
> The problem with the mx_domains is the need to continually update it as we

> add more domains to the box that might operate this same way. It is easier

> for us to maintain the DNS entries properly.
>
> Does anyone know how we can set the ACL to drop anything that doesn't have

> the MX record?

mx_domains = *

Your original mail only pointed to one or two parent domains, in which
case a wildcard of everything under those parents, as suggested, would
work.

-Phil

Phil,
(or anyone)

I have tried to get this into our cPanel configuration and I don't know
exactly where to put it. Can you validate that this ACL will drop any
connection trying to deliver to one of our domains that has not defined an
MX Record?

drop    message = That is not a valid email for this domain
    mx_domains = *

And once again, where is a good spot to drop it in the exim config file.

Thanks