Re: [exim] Recipients with no MX record need to drop

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Don Sceifers
CC: 'Exim-users'
Subject: Re: [exim] Recipients with no MX record need to drop
On 2008-12-02 at 12:43 -0500, Don Sceifers wrote:
> Phil,
> (or anyone)
>
> I have tried to get this into our cPanel configuration and I don't know
> exactly where to put it. Can you validate that this ACL will drop any
> connection trying to deliver to one of our domains that has not defined an
> MX Record?
>
> drop    message = That is not a valid email for this domain
>     mx_domains = *

No, it's not an ACL option.

> And once again, where is a good spot to drop it in the exim config file.

Per my original mail:
: Instead look at setting the mx_domains option on your dnslookup router
: to specify a list of domain-matching items (eg: *.co.com : *.com.com )
: which require an MX record.

If you add:
mx_domains = *
to the dnslookup Router which handles outbound mail, then it will
require an MX record (no fallback to A); the normal recipient
verification in the RCPT ACL will handle this fine, since the domain
should no longer have a Router which accepts mail for it, so the address
will be unhandled.

Exim ships with documentation called The Exim Specification; it's
available online at www.exim.org or in a file called "spec.txt" which
your software packages should have installed somewhere. In that, you
can search for "mx_domains" to get more detailed information.

-Phil