著者: Phil Pennock
To: Adam Nielsen
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [exim] How do you get multiple messages sent via the samesmarthost SMTP connection?
On 2008-07-01 at 15:32 +1000, Adam Nielsen wrote:
> I've got a Mailman installation on a server that feeds its messages in
> to Exim. Since this machine is behind a firewall, all mail is
> smarthosted out to another mailserver.
>
> The problem is that this other mailserver (beyond my control) has a rate
> limit enforced. This means that after 20 connections in a row further
> connections are dropped until traffic stops for a few minutes.

You haven't set connection_max_messages = 1 ?

Look at remote_max_parallel and queue_run_max.

What's probably happening is that Exim is receiving the mail and
immediately trying to send it on. If you can tolerate a short delay in
sending email, you might try configuring Exim to queue all mail instead
of delivering immediately and running with more frequent queue-runners.

Set "queue_only" true in the main configuration. Or, if it's not *all*
mail sent out via the smarthost, look at instead:
queue_smtp_domains = *

Start exim with "exim -bd -q2m" to be a listening daemon which forks
queue-runners every 2 minutes. Or -q1m if you want.

Actually, "exim -bd -odqs -q2m" would be equivalent if you want to
change the cmdline invocation and not change the config.

Basically, you're arranging for Exim to figure out where all the mail
has to go, but only actually sending it out periodically, when there's
likely to be multiple items that can be delivered down a connection.

Regards,
-Phil