Re: [exim] SMTP-Auth TLS/SSL

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: Ian Roberts
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP-Auth TLS/SSL
Ian Roberts <ian@???> (Do 12 Jun 2008 16:42:48 CEST):
> If I stop bind on the server, It receives mail ok - obviously it will
> not be able to send the mail to remote mail servers since I turned off
> bind, (the serer itself is the only entry in resolv.conf), but it does
> receive mail from sending outlook clients if the recipients are local.
>
> in resolv.conf, the only line I have there is:
>
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>
> I have a 2 view setup in bind, one for my internal network and the
> other for the public internet. It seems that the server itself is
> able to access the internal view, and maybe that's why it doesnt work.
> The internal zone has recursion on, the external doesnt - since this
> is one of the dns servers publicly.
>
> Ian

Exim uses DNS several times. Probably to lookup the sender domain or the
name of the sending host. Some of these test may be vital, so exim
deferres accepting the mail. Which test is vital depends on your setup.

(Seems to be semi vital, if you say it works w/o DNS.)

So - probably exim contacts the server, the server doesn't answer
properly in time (exim itself will not do any recursion, I'd say) and
exim responses 4xx. If the DNS is off, exim immediatly finds the
connection to the DNS refused and continues.

Exim should use the DNS server found in /etc/resolv.conf. What happens
when your're using DNS test tools querying the above mentioned address?

    dig -x 1.1.1.1 @192.168.0.1
    dig domain.example @192.168.0.1

    Best regards from Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -