Re: [exim] [OT] RAID (was: Re: Which hardware do you use for…

Author: Christopher Meadors
Subject: Re: [exim] [OT] RAID (was: Re: Which hardware do you use foryourinstallation?)
On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:38 -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:

> Examples please. This is interesting. I've yet to encounter a hw-raid
> controller that did not do proprietary - and model-specific - formatting of
> its drives.

It was a long while ago, but both LSI and Adaptec were having
discussions with the Linux MD authors about using that as their on-disk
format. I had not see any indication that anything had come of their
talks until recently.

Just by accident I had moved some disks formatted by an LSI MegaRAID SAS
controller to a bare SAS interface, and started the Ubuntu installer on
that machine. Ubuntu recognized the disks as being part of an MD array
and could read them. But it was the older format (Linux 2.2 I believe)
and would not mount them writable.

I don't remember which controller it was specifically, but has to be
something newer being it was SAS.

--
Chris