Re: [exim] simple question about rate limiting

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] simple question about rate limiting
Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 01:55 +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
>>> How do I limit my outgoing rate per host?
>> KISS.
>
> Quite. Don't run Exim in queue running mode at all.
>
> Set "queue_only" as a global option in your configuration.
>
> Run a cron job:
>
> for qitem in `exipick -i -x`; do exim -M $qitem; sleep 1; done
>
> That will then pick all non-frozen messages from the queue, pass them to
> a delivery session, and sleep for 1 second. In theory you'll never get
> more than 60 deliveries/minute *but* you may have to tune your
> remote_smtp transport to only send one recipient per delivery.

Not sure I'd call the end result of all that 'KISS', given the effect it
would have on ALL traffic.

;-)

I'd rather throttle the input, as such programs should be taught
table-manners in any case - even if it meant piping it through a 'sleep'
cycle script.

Or - not KISS either - running it between two IP's 'dummynet'ed' to 9.6
or 33 kbps or whatever works on the way into Exim.

> Personally I'd contact the upstream and ask whether they can increase
> your rate, and defer rather than reject. Working with, rather than
> around, your suppliers is often more helpful than you think.
>
> Graeme

There is still the question as to whether the outbound even traverses
Exim at all....

All too many such setups do their own smtp sending...

OP: Do you see this particular traffic in ~/exim/mainlog?