Re: [exim] simple question about rate limiting

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] simple question about rate limiting
On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 01:55 +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> > How do I limit my outgoing rate per host?
>
> KISS.

Quite. Don't run Exim in queue running mode at all.

Set "queue_only" as a global option in your configuration.

Run a cron job:

for qitem in `exipick -i -x`; do exim -M $qitem; sleep 1; done

That will then pick all non-frozen messages from the queue, pass them to
a delivery session, and sleep for 1 second. In theory you'll never get
more than 60 deliveries/minute *but* you may have to tune your
remote_smtp transport to only send one recipient per delivery.

Personally I'd contact the upstream and ask whether they can increase
your rate, and defer rather than reject. Working with, rather than
around, your suppliers is often more helpful than you think.

Graeme