Re: [exim] Missing E-mail

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Torry Crass
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Missing E-mail
On 2008-03-28 at 17:08 -0500, Torry Crass wrote:
> 451 <tcrass ## pleiadesdesign.com>... pleiadesdesign.com: Name server
> timeout

> I have checked my name servers (ns1/ns2 at the respective domain) and my MX
> records, PTR records and everything yet message seem to still be failing.
> Did I do something wrong with my DNS or Exim config that anyone can think of
> that would cause such a mess?

Your DNS is rather badly broken. Perhaps your connectivity in general?

----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
% dig -t ns pleiadesdesign.com

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2 <<>> -t ns pleiadesdesign.com
;; global options: printcmd
% host lyra.pleiadesdesign.com
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------

As Eli noted, running all the nameservers off one IP is generally bad.
The reason that multiple NS records are required by registrars is for
resiliency -- it's not pointless bureaucracy.

You can get free DNS secondarying from various sources; I've heard
good things about the http://www.granitecanyon.com/ service. Read the
terms of service (no warranty), try it, consider making a donation if
it's useful to you. They have a decent FAQ, too.

The routers near my box have multiple routes to 69.30.192.0/18, so the
network in general is fine. But if I try to connect to 69.30.204.75
with TCP on ports 25 or 80 (as suggested by DNS entries) I never get a
response. Is this on the end of a DSL or cable-modem line?

-Phil