[exim] Missing E-mail

Author: Torry Crass
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Missing E-mail
I've been diligently fighting this issue for the past few days and don't
appear to be any closer to solving what the problem is and wanted to see if
anyone would be kind enough to lend me a bit of assistance.

The situation is as follows

A random legitimate sender attempts to send e-mail to me at this address.
The e-mail doesn't appear at all and isn't immediately rejected either. I
watch my exim mainlog and don't see anything of that message ever attempt to
be delivered.

At this point, in attempt to troubleshoot this problem, I've removed "all"
spam filtering I have server side, had another look at my DNS records
(finding I didn't have a PTR record of any type made sure to make one up)
revamped my DNS zone while carefully following examples. Some people's
messages come through fine, but there's probably a dozen or so legit domains
that don't even attempt to connect to my server to deliver the message. All
to no end.

I tried this myself from an aim.com mail account I'd set up and get the
following message back:

###### RETURNED ERROR MESSAGE BELOW ######

<tcrass ## pleiadesdesign.com>

451 <tcrass ## pleiadesdesign.com>... pleiadesdesign.com: Name server
timeout
Message could not be delivered for 2 hours
Message will be deleted from queue

Final-Recipient: RFC822; tcrass ## pleiadesdesign.com
Action: failed
Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:01:41 -0400 (EDT)