Re: [exim] dnsbls

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] dnsbls
Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> So, if i understand your argument correctly, if the PTR were
> "z0mgpuppieslolzw000000000000pony.antibodymx.net", that would make my
> email somehow more likely to be legitimate? How do you know that
> "z0mgpuppieslolzw000000000000pony" isn't somehow derived from the IP
> address? Short anwer: you don't. Blocking mail from known DSL and/or
> dynamically assigned IP ranges is one thing, blocking mail based on the
> rDNS hostname format is, errrm, brave.

Martin, operating an email server in this day and age demands a certain
level of pragmatism. You have to understand that no matter how broken
you think this practise may be, it's actually quite common, and if you
want to guarantee delivery of your email, you have to take steps.

If, on the other hand, you'd rather be Right than functional, feel free
to continue standing on principle.

For the record, I don't reject on any PTR patterns (though I do score
based on them), and I think rejecting on them is just as broken as you
do. But still, I would never operate a mail server on an IP that uses one.

- Marc