Re: [exim] dnsbls

Author: Dave Evans
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] dnsbls
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 03:57:14PM +0900, Michael Heydon wrote:
> > Sent via a host with perfectly valid DNS entries.
> >
> I assume that the rejection refers to a message coming from
> "82-69-6-203.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk" which is valid but contains the
> dirty word "dsl".

Or maybe (guesswork here) that the IP address of the client was something like
82.69.6.203, or 203.6.69.82, and therefore the PTR has clearly been
auto-generated from the IP address. Which to my mind is just as bad as having
no PTR at all (your opinion may differ).

I choose, on my own personal mail server, to reject mail from clients with no
PTR, or a generic PTR (as above), too. That's my choice; yes, some non-spam
mail may be rejected. I'm aware of that. But I find it a useful technique.

--
Dave Evans
http://djce.org.uk/