Re: [exim] dnsbls

Author: Martin A. Brooks
To: exim-users
CC: exim-users-20071221
New-Topics: [exim] generic hostnames
Subject: Re: [exim] dnsbls
Dave Evans wrote:
> Or maybe (guesswork here) that the IP address of the client was something like
> 82.69.6.203, or 203.6.69.82, and therefore the PTR has clearly been
> auto-generated from the IP address. Which to my mind is just as bad as having
> no PTR at all (your opinion may differ).

So, if i understand your argument correctly, if the PTR were
"z0mgpuppieslolzw000000000000pony.antibodymx.net", that would make my
email somehow more likely to be legitimate? How do you know that
"z0mgpuppieslolzw000000000000pony" isn't somehow derived from the IP
address? Short anwer: you don't. Blocking mail from known DSL and/or
dynamically assigned IP ranges is one thing, blocking mail based on the
rDNS hostname format is, errrm, brave.

> I choose, on my own personal mail server, to reject mail from clients with no
> PTR, or a generic PTR (as above), too. That's my choice; yes, some non-spam
> mail may be rejected. I'm aware of that. But I find it a useful technique.

So I guess I'll be getting a bounce from you for this non-spam email, also.

Regards

--

 Martin A. Brooks |  http://www.antibodymx.net/ | Anti-spam & anti-virus
    Consultant    |  martin@???      | filtering. Inoculate