Re: [exim] Exim4 on Debian cannot receive mail

Author: Chas
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 on Debian cannot receive mail

> Chas wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>    I'm fairly new to Exim but had it working well on a CentOS (rpm
>> version)that was a VPS with 'real' IP.
>>   Now trying to get it working on Debian with a valid (static) IP in a
>> lab
>> environment at work. IP of 64.x.x.x is natted through a Cisco Pix to a
>> 10.x.x.x. Can send mail fine but get this bounce to outside mail client
>> when attempting to receive mail;

>> '550 relay not permitted (in reply to RCPT TO command)'
>
> This sounds like you have not configured the local Exim server to accept
> mail for the domain you are sending to. If you are using the default
> exim conf file, there is a domain list called "local_domains" which
> needs to have all the local domains added to it. If it is relaying for
> certain domains, they need to be added to "relay_to_domains".
> If it's just some random email address out there on the wild wild
> internet, you probably need to authenticate or add your local, internal,
> _trusted_ network to the "relay_from_hosts" list.
>
> If you're using the debian split config, please check your documentation
> on the correct mailing list to seek help as there is only one person on
> this list that knows much about it and he'll probably answer your
> question and tell you to look at the documentation regarding the correct
> list :P

Thanks, and yes, I was trying the split config files, it's very different
from the way I had it working on CentOS.

>> Does this possibly have something to do with the nat address? Do I need
>> add the 10.x.x.x address somewhere in the config file to allow this.
>> Domain resolves to 64.x.x.x if that matters.
>
> Only if you trust 10.x.x.x and there is no way for outside sources to
> pretend to be from that network, you can add it to the
> "relay_from_hosts" list. However, you are probably better off setting up
> authentication for message submission.

I seem to have it working now by adding my domain to the
'dc_other_hostnames=' section of a file called 'update-exim4.conf' It
seems Debian may not be the place to learn Exim configuration as it is so
different from the norm.

thanks,
Chas.