Re: [exim] Exim4 on Debian cannot receive mail

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 on Debian cannot receive mail
Chas wrote:
> Greetings,
>    I'm fairly new to Exim but had it working well on a CentOS (rpm
> version)that was a VPS with 'real' IP.
>   Now trying to get it working on Debian with a valid (static) IP in a lab
> environment at work. IP of 64.x.x.x is natted through a Cisco Pix to a
> 10.x.x.x. Can send mail fine but get this bounce to outside mail client
> when attempting to receive mail;

> '550 relay not permitted (in reply to RCPT TO command)'

This sounds like you have not configured the local Exim server to accept
mail for the domain you are sending to. If you are using the default
exim conf file, there is a domain list called "local_domains" which
needs to have all the local domains added to it. If it is relaying for
certain domains, they need to be added to "relay_to_domains".
If it's just some random email address out there on the wild wild
internet, you probably need to authenticate or add your local, internal,
_trusted_ network to the "relay_from_hosts" list.

If you're using the debian split config, please check your documentation
on the correct mailing list to seek help as there is only one person on
this list that knows much about it and he'll probably answer your
question and tell you to look at the documentation regarding the correct
list :P

> Does this possibly have something to do with the nat address? Do I need to
> add the 10.x.x.x address somewhere in the config file to allow this.
> Domain resolves to 64.x.x.x if that matters.

Only if you trust 10.x.x.x and there is no way for outside sources to
pretend to be from that network, you can add it to the
"relay_from_hosts" list. However, you are probably better off setting up
authentication for message submission.

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html