[exim] Fw: Fastest Exim server ever

Author: Phil \(Medway Hosting\)
To: Exim Users List
Subject: [exim] Fw: Fastest Exim server ever
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Perkel" <marc@???>
To: <exim-users@???>
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 6:50 PM
Subject: [exim] Fastest Exim server ever

> As to being fast, I'm thinking that lots of ram would be necessary. The
> you put the queues in ram disk and you have a fall back server so it
> tries to deliver one time and if it fails to laterals the message off to
> another server that queues the messages for normal retry delivery. And
> I'm thinking you would have a separate DNS server dedicated to caching
> lookups.
>
> Thoughts?

Having read the other replies to this thread, I have to ask - WHY use SMTP
at all ?

I mean, if the speed of delivery is so critical (as in you mentioned it was
for some sort of gaming environment), surely the weak point it going to be
with the RECEIVING servers ?

I do wonder if some sort of "instant messenger" program where the users
install a client of some sort would be more appropriate ?

If email is the ONLY way to do it (not knowing the exact details) then
perhaps actually giving the users an email account on the main server (or
local net of servers) would be the solution ?

All the best

Phil

Website Hosting from only £5.00 per month.
www.medwayhosting.com - +44 (0)1634 856965

Digital & Traditional Printing, and much more
www.medwayprint.com - +44 (0)1634 281199