Re: [exim] exim and queue

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Peter Kirk, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim and queue

--On 25 January 2008 14:15:23 +0200 Peter Kirk <peterki@???> wrote:

> The emails are all the same and are product updates to clients, it's a
> small mail really, just a few k.... and all to different email
> addresses.
>
> The user sending these out uses a program so I don't think you can bcc
> the recipients and as for sending it slower... im doing this so it can
> get to the clients faster :)

Yes, and that might happen if you're more patient. It's like trying to get
a thousand people onto a single escalator - it's quicker if they don't all
fall over each other and block the entrance. A small queue is processed
faster, so presenting the emails at a slower rate can increase the total
system throughput.

For example, if they're presented over a period of one hour, they might all
get delivered within that hour.

That said, this would be a measure of last resort.

> As for the mails going into a single mails, they are but get split up on
> the exim server to go to the individual people

Not if the recipients are in the same domain. If you can group recipients
by domain, that should speed things up a bit.