Re: [exim] exim and queue

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Peter Kirk, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim and queue

--On 25 January 2008 09:28:42 +0200 Peter Kirk <peterki@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have an exim server and every Thursday we send out over 16000 mails in
> a mailshot, this takes for ever to send out, I think about 8 hours or so
> and our queue on the server goes up to about 15000, our current
> smtp_accept_queue_per_connection is defaulted to 10, I want to change
> this to 100, anyone think this might cause a problem?

No. That seems quite sensible. Is that 16,000 different emails? Or the same
email to 16,000 different addresses? If the emails are similar, you could
get a better performance by using bcc. Then emails into the same domain
will all go as a single email.

15,000 messages on the queue is enough to reduce overall performance in
some settings. You might get a better performance if the originating
software injects the email slower.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex