Re: [exim] exim and queue

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim and queue
Peter

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 14:15 +0200, Peter Kirk wrote:
> The emails are all the same and are product updates to clients, it's a
> small mail really, just a few k.... and all to different email
> addresses.

OK, so we'll work with not changing your sending application then :)

You don't say what your OS is, nor what hardware you're using, or much
about your Exim config. All that said:

1. You could put your Exim hints db directory into a RAM disk. Doing
this depends on your system, so you can Google for that one!

2. You could use the "noatime" option for your Exim spool directory -
assuming it's under /var:

mount -o remount defaults,noatime /var

then edit /etc/fstab and change the mount options line for /var so it
says "defaults,noatime" - that'll allow it to persist across reboots.

3. Use the split_spool_directory config option. That means Exim will,
erm, split the spool directory up so doing a stat() or lstat() becomes
less painful (fewer files in each dir). Read the docs about this option,
please, as there are other issues you may need to take account of.

At the very least (because they're easy wins) try (2) and (3). (1) is a
little more complex.

Graeme