Re: [exim] Drop all traffic unless authenticated users OR sp…

Author: Oliver von Bueren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Drop all traffic unless authenticated users OR specific IP ?
Bleurgh wrote:
> Sorry Oliver, that went way over my head. I dont understand anything you
> have said.

It's not that difficult, just a way to debug your configuration
efficiently. I'll give you a short step-by-step intro of how to do it.
What it does is, you can enter what normally the MUA (message user
agent) or MTA (message transfer agent) does. That way, you can see
straight away what exim does with it. It does this by listing the
internal steps it performs and by printing the answers it would send to
the remote end. You then can enter the commands.
I don't include all the stuff exim prints out, just the session-relevant
bits. Of curse, you have to substitute the ip and email addresses with
your real world data.

If you start exim on the "console/ssh/telnet" session like this:
# exim -bh 192.168.1.100
220 server.domain.com ESMTP Exim 4.68 Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:48:12 +0100
HELO my.domain.com
250 server.domain.com Hello my.domain.com [192.168.1.100]
MAIL FROM:<sender@???>
250 OK
RCPT TO:<recipient@???>
250 Accepted
RSET
250 Reset OK
QUIT
221 server.domain.com closing connection
#

All the lines starting with the number are from exim, the rest is what
you enter.

Here the interesting bit will be after you type RCPT TO.... All the
tests exim does are listed out including its conclusions.

Does that help? If not, I think you should consider Peter's advice and
read through some of the documentations get the exim4 book.

       Oliver