Re: [exim] exim and queue

Author: John Robinson
To: Peter Kirk
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim and queue
On 25/01/2008 13:17, Peter Kirk wrote:
> This mail server sends and recieves another +- 30000 mails a day for
> internal users and the config includes spam, greylisting, dns lookups,
> packet size, number of connections and so on... so I don't want to mess
> with those settings to much... like checking data settings..
>
> That's why I was hoping if I can avoide using a queue for messages and
> just send them out straight away, then this would send them faster as
> they would not sit in a queue for an hour or so but I just wanted to
> know if this would kill my machine?

If your machine's as busy as this you probably ought to be running the
queue more than once an hour anyway; either start exim with e.g. -q5m or
use cron to start multiple queue runners. Your system's well enough
specced to manage fine with this, and it should get both your bulk mail
and your normal mail off your system much faster.

> Option 3 does look the best, so might try to implement this.

[...]
> 3. Use the split_spool_directory config option.

This will also make running multiple queue runners easier for exim.

Cheers,

John.