Re: [exim] Router Redirect Question

Author: Marc Perkel
To: John Robinson
CC: exim-users, guillaume.yziquel
Subject: Re: [exim] Router Redirect Question

John Robinson wrote:
> On 24/01/2008 21:16, Guillaume Yziquel wrote:
> [...]
>
>> There's no point being hurtful. Perhaps Mark is not in this case,
>>
> [...]
>
> I don't think Graeme or I were being hurtful at all; Marc is no newbie,
> in fact he runs a business making money from exim, but he seems always
> to come here to ask questions and make suggestions of what the
> developers should do next, rather than reading the docs, working it out
> for himself, and contributing to the code himself.
>
> It might be hurtful for me to suggest that he's ignorant, arrogant,
> stupid and lazy, but I wouldn't do that.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John.

What is and isn't document depends on the viewpoint of the reader. If
you are intimately familiar with the internals of Exim then perhaps
everything is answered. But even if you are a seasoned user like I am,
or if you are a newbie, then what is documented from the perspective ofe
the reader is far less that what the programmers here think are covered.

I have to agree that when the programmers here call users ignorant,
arrogant, stupid and lazy it just drives people off and causes people to
not want to be a member of the Exim community. The programmers know code
but they don't know people and understand that most end users haven't
dedicated their lives to the internals of Exim. I'm fairly tough and
committed to Exim but when they insult other users they are gone. I also
participate here far less than I would otherwise because of this kind of
thing. It's not the first time this has happened and it's not just with me.

I would encourage the powers that be here refrain from insults and show
respect for the questioner. Even if the person asking the question
actually is ignorant, arrogant, stupid and lazy.