Re: [exim] How to set exim to manage the number of CC or BCC…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to set exim to manage the number of CC or BCC addresses?
Sergio <secmas@???> (Di 22 Jan 2008 19:03:22 CET):
> Dave,
> thanks a lot for your answer, it is appreciated.
>
> 4. Instead of blocking, you could just slow things down for mails with large
> recipient lists, e.g. by adding a "delay" into your RCPT ACL. Then the mail
> would still be allowed, and would still go through, but maybe the delay
> would
> help discourage your users from using large recipient lists, if that's what
> you want.
>
> This will be really nice to implement, wish I could have a delay time of 10
> seconds between emails for customers with more that 50 recipients, do you
> think it is possible to set this in exim?

We use something like this in the acl_check_rcpt:

 warn      condition     = ${if >{$rcpt_count}{1}}
           log_message   = *rcpt:delay/rcpt_count ($rcpt_count)
           delay         = ${eval:$rcpt_count}s

It slows things down, but I do not know, how the sending side would
behave with large recipients lists. If after the 30th recipient the delay of
30s is too long for the sender, probably they will cancel the complete
transaction, starting over again with the full list some time later.

So - writing this, there should be an upper limit (does somebody have
the RFC on hand?).

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -