[exim] rewrite or redirect?

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] rewrite or redirect?
I see in the documentation that address rewriting should not be used
as a routing tool.

Our situation is like this:

3 exim servers as gateway for sun.ac.za which use a database to
determine where email should be delivered for @sun.ac.za adresses.

There are also some other domains for which we relay email.

Internally there are several exchange servers using
@exchange.sun.ac.za.

Previously there were several pmail servers with names like
firga.sun.ac.za etc.

Also previously the email domain for sun.ac.za was maties.sun.ac.za.

The present setup has quite a lot of rewrite rules like this:

*@maties.sun.ac.za                  $1@??? Eh

# For the expired pmail servers there are something like this for each
# of them:

postmaster@???            *
*@adm.sun.ac.za                     $1@??? Eh

# If postmaster@??? is never to be rewritten and not
# delivered to some other address like postmaster@???, the message
# will fail as adm.sun.ac.za does not exist anymore. So I think this
# configuration is wrong anyway.

And for the Exchange servers:

*@exchange.sun.ac.za                $1@??? Eh

Now the question of the subject-line.

Is rewriting the addresses the correct way to ensure that emails to
addresses that existed in the past gets delivered to the correct
present address?

I just wonder whether, with the exception of the @exchange.sun.ac.za
addresses the others could not be handled through redirecting
like the aliases are used.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack..."
                         Proverbs 28:27