Re: [pcre-dev] Please comment on this build suggestion

Author: Sheri
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Please comment on this build suggestion
Philip Hazel wrote:
> A PCRE user has sent me the following comments:

> I am looking at 7.5 . "configure" doesn't come up with any dll targets.
> With the few additions I made, the dll is made and works well under Windows
> (using mingw32 compiler).
>
> I humbly submit the following addition to "Makefile", which will allow
> anyone using the 'mingw32' compiler to simply type 'make pcre.dll' and
> get a nice DLL for Windows use:
>
> OBJS= pcre_compile.o pcre_config.o \
>         pcre_dfa_exec.o pcre_exec.o pcre_fullinfo.o pcre_get.o \
>         pcre_globals.o pcre_info.o pcre_maketables.o \
>         pcre_newline.o pcre_ord2utf8.o pcre_refcount.o \
>         pcre_study.o pcre_tables.o pcre_try_flipped.o \
>         pcre_ucp_searchfuncs.o pcre_valid_utf8.o pcre_version.o \
>         pcre_chartables.o \
>         pcre_xclass.o
> pcre.dll: $(OBJS)
>         g++ -shared -o pcre.dll -Wl,"--strip-all" -Wl,"--export-all-symbols"
> $(OBJS)

> Please could somebody who knows about Windows environments tell me if
> this is a real problem, if the proposed solution is the right one, and
> if so, where to patch it in.
>
> Philip

Since version 7.1 or thereabouts special targets for mingw were removed
from configure/make because Daniel nixed them saying they were a "third
wheel" for automake and that if you wanted pcre.dll you should use
cmake. (see here for example:
http://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20070325.065402.0ad41e10.en.html )

Now Christian has said only MSVC should be able to make pcre.dll. Sigh.

Regards,
Sheri