Re: [pcre-dev] Please comment on this build suggestion

Author: Sheri
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Please comment on this build suggestion
Sheri wrote:
> Philip Hazel wrote:
>
>> A PCRE user has sent me the following comments:

>> I am looking at 7.5 . "configure" doesn't come up with any dll targets.
>> With the few additions I made, the dll is made and works well under Windows
>> (using mingw32 compiler).
>>
>> I humbly submit the following addition to "Makefile", which will allow
>> anyone using the 'mingw32' compiler to simply type 'make pcre.dll' and
>> get a nice DLL for Windows use:
>>
>> OBJS= pcre_compile.o pcre_config.o \
>>         pcre_dfa_exec.o pcre_exec.o pcre_fullinfo.o pcre_get.o \
>>         pcre_globals.o pcre_info.o pcre_maketables.o \
>>         pcre_newline.o pcre_ord2utf8.o pcre_refcount.o \
>>         pcre_study.o pcre_tables.o pcre_try_flipped.o \
>>         pcre_ucp_searchfuncs.o pcre_valid_utf8.o pcre_version.o \
>>         pcre_chartables.o \
>>         pcre_xclass.o
>> pcre.dll: $(OBJS)
>>         g++ -shared -o pcre.dll -Wl,"--strip-all" -Wl,"--export-all-symbols"
>> $(OBJS)

>> Please could somebody who knows about Windows environments tell me if
>> this is a real problem, if the proposed solution is the right one, and
>> if so, where to patch it in.
>>
>> Philip
>>

> Since version 7.1 or thereabouts special targets for mingw were removed
> from configure/make because Daniel nixed them saying they were a "third
> wheel" for automake and that if you wanted pcre.dll you should use
> cmake. (see here for example:
> http://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20070325.065402.0ad41e10.en.html )
>
> Now Christian has said only MSVC should be able to make pcre.dll. Sigh.
>
> Regards,
> Sheri

Christian, could CmakeSetup options be added, so that it shows the
default "lib" library prefix for each of the libraries, and allows them
to be changed? Then it could be platform independent. We know that it
must be "lib" on mingw for each of the libraries unless building shared
(or the sample programs don't link), but that could be documented.

Regards,
Sheri