Re: [exim] Exim stopped receiving mail...please help

Author: Christian Schmidt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim stopped receiving mail...please help
Hello WeezelDS,

WeezelDS, 03.01.2008 (d.m.y):

> Exim has stopped receiving mail for all users on my centOS server. It still
> sends, however when connecting from home I get the "Domain Name Mismatch"
> thunderbird security error, dunno if this is related.

That depends on your configuration.

> It won't receive any
> emails, nor will they even send bounce notifications. A little before i
> stopped receiving emails, my server was getting hulked by something
> grepping, creating and tarring the exim logs which were measured in
> gigs...so i made the following php script to be cronned daily:
>
> shell_exec('rm -f /var/log/exim_mainlog');
> shell_exec('touch /var/log/exim_mainlog');
> shell_exec('chown mailnull /var/log/exim_mainlog');
> shell_exec('chgrp mail /var/log/exim_mainlog');

Hrm. You'd better take a *look* into your logfiles instead of deleting
them.

> ...the exim_paniclog gives the error "User 0 set for local_delivery
> transport is on the never_users list", googling around says to do this as a
> fix for that error:
>
> ln -s libdb2.so.3 libdb.so.3
> /scripts/eximup --force
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/exim restart

You should check *why* User ID 0 is used for your local_delivery
transport. Maybe you forgot to set an alias for root which delivers
mails for root to your "normal" account.

> after trying this fix, there was no change except that I had to delete and
> renew my certificate in order to send, still cant receive..
>
> Is it okay to blow that log away? Is my domain info screwed up? How can I
> get my mail working again?

Look at your logfiles.

Gruss/Regards,
Christian Schmidt

--
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time
to reform.