[exim] gettnig sa-exim to use spamAssassin

Author: H. Haines Brown
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] gettnig sa-exim to use spamAssassin
I'm running debian etch, with exim4, which has monolithic
configuration. My aim is to get exim to filter incoming mail with
spamassassin.

To that end I tested spamassassin from the command line (it works) and
installed sa-exim. Problem is getting sa-exim to submit mail to
spamassassin.

I have to make sure that my exim4.conf has:

    local_scan_path = /usr/lib/exim4/local_scan/sa-exim.so

I have no exim4.conf, but rather a /etc/exim4/update.exim4.conf.conf
and the /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated. Neither file has that
variable.

Since

    $ grep "local_scan_path" /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated

returns nothing, the local_scan_path is not in the config.autgenerated
file. So I'm told to edit as root /etc/exim/update.exim4.conf.conf,
and so I put in

    local_scan_path='true'

and did:

    update-exim4.conf

but the local_scan_path variable does not show up in
/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM