Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam

Author: Patrick von der Hagen
To: ROGERS Richard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam
ROGERS Richard schrieb:
[...]
> If anyone has better suggestions, I'd like to hear them. Please don't
> just tell me that sending OoO off site is a Really Bad Idea (TM) - I
> already know that!

Don't worry, it could be worse.
Exchange 2003 and 2007 won't respond with an OoO for every incoming
message. Exchange 2003 won't respond if there is a header like
additional headers like "X-Auto-Response-Suppress: OOF". It's all in
their knowledge-base, so kick your Exchange-admin if he doesn't know
about it.

Anyway, if your gateway can detect spam it can mark each message in a
way that prevents Exchnge from sending OoO. Here we use exim to mark
each message with a spam-value which is used to route messages in an
Exchange-Junk-folder and make sure there is a Precedence-Header to avoid
OoO.

Of course you can use other conditions to have exim decide wheter or not
Exchange should send OoO.

--
CU,
    Patrick.